ManicRobThrill

Sunday, August 30, 2026

A rational purge

For the sake of clarity and getting it out of my system, this is full context of why I've been so down for such a elongated period.

After being laid off in March, 2025 from my last full-time job, I had a very nice 9 month temp assignment from April to December last year.  I was offered a full-time position with a law firm at the start of January, so there were no losses in income or time.  The problem was the law firm was a horribly abusive atmosphere - reminiscent of that architecture firm I joined in February 2023.  This had to be seen to be believed - the lead lawyer/head of the firm is prone to violent outbursts and it made life absolute hell.  I went on an interview in February for a non-profit in Brooklyn and was offered a job on the spot.  I accepted and gave my two weeks' notice to the law firm. 

On the surface, the non-profit seemed like a nicer place to be, albeit for less money.  Sadly, I was wrong.  It took very little time for my new boss to show her true colors, which are disturbing.  People have been leaving en masse.  And it's taking a toll on me - emotionally, mentally and physically.  I work at home on weekends, just to give myself a little breathing room when I'm in the office.  I hate it.  I'm incapable of having a normal conversation now.  I don't want to speak with anyone.

I had an interview on a beautiful Monday afternoon at the beginning of May with an architecture studio, also in Brooklyn.  After a very nice conversation, I was (once again) offered the job on the spot, which I accepted.  It's something I'm experienced with; the money would be back to a normal range and it's in a neighborhood I'm familiar with.

I was told we would do one more conversation and then the job would begin in July, which was fine.  I didn't hear from them again until the beginning of July for that second/final interview, where everything was mapped out.  I was told "we will be sending you the offer letter by tomorrow."  By the end of that next day, I'd received nothing and emailed them.  Their HR person said that it had to go through legal and compliance first and then it would be sent immediately and I could give my two weeks' notice to the non-profit.

Then silence.

That was July 8th.  I've sent two follow-up emails and received no response.  I've had a two-round interview with a political relations firm but didn't get to the third round.

I'm frustrated and tired and living on stress, which does no good for someone who's 61.  I dropped 30 pounds, essentially, and I'm always tired.

I just want something good; something positive to happen - the change I need.

That's all. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home