ManicRobThrill

Saturday, December 25, 2004

Habit forming

Only one day since my inaugural entry and here I am again; I'd honestly prefer to do this with a cup of coffee and the daylight of morning, but as it is, it's just about midnight on Xmas and I can't sleep. Better to clear the mind and relax this way--be it with meandering drivel or lucidity, I think this will help me drift off (which means probably sleeping on the couch so as not to wake Liz).

Nice Xmas celebration with Liz at her mother's, which we always do. My brother-in-law, Peter and his girlfriend, Beth were there--really good to see them. Had a good time just talking, then going out for a quick and quiet meal with my mother-in-law. A few hours seeing one another and catching up is more than good enough for us to fulfill a "Xmas vibe".

I have the Discman on and I'm listening to Peter's gift to me, The Who's final meisterwerk, Who Are You (I must state emphatically, that upon Keith Moon's death, The Who were finished and that I never rated Face Dances or It's Hard as Who albums). The funny thing is that for years, I would never give any credence to The Who's canon past the patchwork Magic Bus (On Tour) album, save for a few bits from Quadrophenia (naturally). I never really sat down and gave By Numbers or Who Are You the true attention I now think those albums deserve, but there and again, right now, as far as ROCK music goes, the only band I've been listening to (again) is The Who. I think it might be due to having watched the glorious "The Kids Are Alright" on IFC every time it was on this past month (even though we own the DVD and I saw the movie in the theatre when it came out in 1979). Nonetheless, this album is something of a breath of fresh air to me again after listening to a much more ramshackle affair such as Who's Next or something as claustrophobic as By Numbers. It's so personal and heavy with introspection and uncertainty that The Who come off as being at their absolute peak of maturity--a cruelly ironic foreshadowing since Moon died only weeks after the album was released.

Speaking of cruel and the main reason I think I can't sleep. I just heard tonight from my cousin's husband that she's had a miscarriage and I'm still pained for her. This is her 2nd loss since the two of them were married in April (she has two beautiful children, whom I love as if they were my own, from her first marriage) and I wish there was something--anything--I could do for her. She lives in Los Angeles and the distance makes it hard. Next to Liz, there is no one in this life who I love more than Valerie--she's always been an inspiration, a revelation, my best friend and more like the sister I don't have as opposed to "just a cousin". I love you, Val--I'm thinking of you.

Looking for a lighter tone again, I have the new Musician's Friend sale catalog and I'm drooling over Gibson SGs and Fender Telecaster Customs. What's wrong with me? I just bought 2 new guitars this year! Actually, in keeping in the spirit of when The Punch Line plays live again and my (by then) newly-toned body, I want to look completely bitchin' when I get out there in a black t-shirt that shows muscle and an SG so I look like I ROCK. Is this a sign that the middle age crisis is coming?

A lot of things are floating around my mind right now. May be a good time to halt and attempt to recharge the batteries. Even my 3 cats are sleeping near me on the living room floor.

Good night Sister Disco...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home