ManicRobThrill

Tuesday, April 02, 2013

Mine's not a high horse...

I'm not usually one to point out the foibles of my dearest friends, but I need an outlet to express some frustrations, or at best, the ponderous nature of those who have swung so high and hard on the self-righteousness tree.

I am the first to lend support when someone I care about is going through a difficult time.  I've been through difficulties myself and have received a great deal of love and care.  I am filled with eternal gratitude, thankfulness and am always willing to reciprocate in kind.  But I can't really understand why some go to such extremes in taking a pompous put-down type of stance of everyone else when their change comes.

Okay - for the specifics, so I don't sound cryptic or vague:  a friend of mine had a very bad problem with overindulgence - on all levels.  This person got themselves out of the hole called addiction and for that, I am proud and happy and will always be behind them so they can stay clean and straight.  But I can't accept that this person has now gone to a completely different extreme - in which preaching in a bombastic, self-serving manner has become the standard and every word is an admonishment for every single thing.  It's unacceptable to me.

I've never had a problem with alcohol or drugs.  That's a fact.  My worst was a battle with weight from the time I was a child, but I wrestled it to defeat when I was 20 and at 48, I still know how to control fluctuation so that I don't become unhealthy, or worse, overweight.  I also was a heavy smoker and managed to quit cold turkey and naturally.  So what?  I'm not special for taking control and eliminating unhealthiness - period.  But this person even has the audacity to now be scolding about clothes, having turned to the vegan way of life.  In short, they've become one of those insufferable, pious assholes that I hate.  The post-recovery self-righteousness is galling.  AND they're always crowing about their wonderfulness in finding the light...  Jesus.  I know I can't fully empathize (only with the weight struggle) but if you have to tell the world how great you are for sobering up, withdrawing from drugs, food and anything else, then you're not so wonderful.  You're a fucking narcissist.  Clarity and rationality being what it is, you're just replacing one addiction with another.

I'm sorry - I just get very irate at 12-steppers who ceaselessly shove this shit down your throat - and it seems to be the 12-steppers.  I applaud anyone who cleans up their own act but who put you there in the first place?  We all have and make choices in life and no one holds a gun to anyone's head and says "you need to drink that bottle of vodka" or "you need to snort that line of cocaine".  Addiction is NOT a disease; it's a group of behaviors.  Don't get high and mighty with me - I'm not the one who fucked up so badly I had to have everyone and his mother clean me up.  And I really dislike the cajoling of everyone they know to tell them how wonderful they are.  It's just disgusting.

I think it's time to resign my position as friend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home