ManicRobThrill

Monday, November 19, 2012

Nothing can hurt me

Obvious as it is, it's a lyric from Big Star.  It's also the title of the documentary film that I'm proud to have contributed to.  This movie, and certainly, the band has brought me much joy.  But it's also poignant in light of the recent hurricane that hit my home area and our neighboring states.

I'm very lucky.  The worst we endured was three days without electricity or heat.  The shore area, which is a five minute drive, is someplace I haven't even ventured to go near; I don't know if I can handle seeing the devastation.  The most I've done is drive to Trader Joe's and back or to Target and back.  A clear, unfettered route that shows none of the ravages from Hurricane Sandy.

If there's one thing I've observed from these events, it's an incredible outpouring of support from other Staten Islanders.  For all that we've swallowed with criticisms and derision, this truly, is still a community in the truest sense of the word and for that, I'm still proud and grateful to be an Islander.

But still - nothing can hurt me.  And nothing will.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home