ManicRobThrill

Saturday, March 26, 2005

Mod is dead...long live rock

And naturally, on the quest to further join the modern world in the appropriate fashion, I threw down for a digital camera finally. You would have thought I'd have done it ages ago, but you know my priorities were a tad more musically-oriented (ahem). So the short list of household necessities has shrunken down to what--3 items? That '72 Tele, the iBook and the Mini. Well, soon enough.

Feeling sluggish today, especially after a really nice but heavy Mexican meal; took care of the groceries and main chores early on. We talked about it and I'm just not feeling the gym tomorrow. I don't think it means the novelty or discipline is wearing off; I think I just need one Sunday to not have to be out the door as soon as possible in order to get a machine. We'll see how I feel in the morning.

Did manage to finally use my birthday/Xmas gift certificate yesterday (an unexpected but welcomed early departure from work); got a new track jacket and a cool pair of skate jeans. Unnecessarily expensive but hey--it was a gift. Just not used to having to pay in order to be so fabulous. Loving my new driving loafers, though. Very in. Like me. Can you dig it?

Every now and then, NME does a special edition geared toward a music scene that's been dissected to death; this month, surprisingly, is a tribute to all things Mod. Ironic, being that I've laid my former Mod-life to rest once and for all. No malice intended, but I can't help but suspect that this issue will do what it always does--deify the usual demi-gods, piss all over all the pretenders to the throne and ask what caused Weller to go insane and end The Jam in order to form the crime known as The Style Council. It gets tiresome. Much like dressing up and pretending to be something I'm not. At 40, I can easily let Mod go with no looking back. It was fun; it was cool and now it's finally over for good. How long can you carry on? It just looks foolish. But I'll see if I want to actually buy a copy of the "Mod special" for a proper fare-thee-well after I give it the once-over at the magazine stand across from my office.

That leads to the whole question that many have asked about The Punch Line and the "new" direction people think we're moving in. Short and to the point:
We are not/will not pretend to be/be looked upon in any way, shape or form as a "Mod" or "Mod aligned" band. We're 3 guys in our late 30's/early 40's and we're a rock band. That's it. We don't dress or follow the tenets of a specific musical/social/fashion movement or trend. I write the original material; we cover songs we like and think sound good when we do them. Very simple. We have nothing to do with "Mod" anymore. Get over it!

We rock. Now that's hot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home