ManicRobThrill

Saturday, November 17, 2007

Voices from another life

While being still not 100% healthy, it was a week filled with surprises. I've been back in touch and reconnecting with friends and loved ones through e-mails, the amount of which I've been having some difficulty replying to all within a reasonable amount of time. I've also actually physically run into two old friends (one an old flame). It's been a while since I've had so many correspondences, but every one of these was a welcome name, memory, voice, word. Some are friends from various jobs, some are relatives, some are former musical collaborators--and plans are being made to see and spend time with everyone, catching up and getting reconnected. Dinner plans, a get together for drinks, some possible time on the weekends with guitars--it looks good for the not-too-distant future.

I know there are times in life you make the conscious decision to rid yourself of those who only cause pain, harm or just want to use you--I've made amputations over the last few years, quite wisely--but those you spend so much time with on a daily basis for years... to let them get away for whatever reason is ridiculous. I've made it a key responsibility to not let these friends slip from the view again.

And being that with this time of a renewed life by returning home, I can safely say (and with quite a bit of confidence), this coming year will see some musical effort by myself along with some very trusted colleagues. I've already been asked to do two shows--one acoustic and one with a backing band--I've said yes to the acoustic show (date and venue to be confirmed). Since so many people have been (a bit more than) kind in wanting to see and hear me, I don't see any viable reason why I should say no. There's no ulterior motive for me except fulfilling a simple request.

As one of my current compatriots said as I was relaying this to him, "some people you don't care to ever hear from again. If you do, you can always delete the e-mail without responding or erase the voice mail. Those you've missed, you make the most out of when they get back in touch". Common sense, without doubt.

For the balance, it's time to attempt some sleep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home