ManicRobThrill

Sunday, December 06, 2009

A chilling reminder

Twenty nine years ago this week, I was reminded that our lives were changed forever and not for the better. While driving this morning, I turned on "Breakfast With The Beatles" (the brilliant show on XM, hosted by the equally brilliant Chris Carter) and heard the actual WNEW-FM broadcast announcing the murder of John Lennon. Listening to the raw emotion of Vin Scelsa's voice was eerie and disturbing. And it still bothers a never-healed wound.

As it's been well-known, I didn't hear the news until I woke up the next morning. Hindsight is 20/20 and it's just as well that I didn't. Hearing it all now (and at this time each year since) just fills me with that feeling of loss I had then and the anger that I don't think will ever go away--at least not for anyone who was a fan or "student" or scholar of The Beatles.

I have had so many conversations over the years about "if Lennon had lived, would The Beatles have ever gotten back together"? I used to say yes--especially when Live Aid happened, etc. But the short and succinct answer is we'll just never know.

He was quiet for five years and then he re-emerged from his self-imposed exile. He recorded and released a new album and then... tomorrow never knows.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home