ManicRobThrill

Monday, August 14, 2023

Old friends and new avenues

A joyful and unexpected series of reconnections happened in the last week, which gave me pause to think - and smile.

As minute as it may sound, I was running for the ferry last Tuesday night as the doors were about to close, when I heard "Rob, Rob!" being shouted.  I turned and it was my best friend from freshman year of high school, Chuck.  I ran over to him, we hugged and promised to see each other soon and I got on the ferry.  He helped get me through the 9th grade - when I had gotten my guitar and was the first friend to really encourage me.  We had deep-dived into The Who, Yardbirds and Kinks catalogs at that time and we had been in touch, on and off, over the decades.  The last time I saw him, we had met at a nearby Starbucks for coffee ten years ago.  But it made me think and appreciate - after 44 years, we can pick up a conversation, as if it were yesterday.

Then, this past Saturday, I spent the day with a former co-worker from the Direct Revenue-era.  She's been going through a difficult period - serious health issues, loss of friends and family and divorce.  We'd planned to get together a year ago, but then I went through my whole health nightmare.  It had been over a decade since we'd seen one another and we had a wonderful time - some serious talk; a lot of laughs and a great deal of warmth.  A day that I can savor and appreciate.

I've had a number of interviews as well - some of them have gone through the paces of 3 or 4 call-backs, but at this point, they've all passed on hiring me.  Which I accept simply as for the best.  I do like where i am now; the principle of the studio I work for is a reasonable and likable person; if there were more days involved, I'd be less inclined to keep looking with such ferocity.

And I'm starting to get back into the gym again, after being sidelined by a very-stupidly-caused shoulder injury for the last few weeks.  I have less than a month until I see the doctor again and I want the news to remain positive; my blood tests to be good and my health to be on an even keel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home