ManicRobThrill

Friday, November 03, 2023

Elevated observations ad infinitum

A lot has been on my mind recently - more than usual.  And at times, I feel it's better to remain quiet than to speak for fear it won't come out coherently.  So I'm going to try and get my thoughts out here, since it's sometimes easier to parse out what I want to say by writing it.

We are in the most bizarre and dangerous times that I can remember.  Social media was supposed to be a positive and helpful "tool" - a new way to communicate and share; to connect and re-connect.  To make the world smaller.  Instead, it's the worst virus to infect human beings over an elongated period.  Especially since the start of the Presidential election cycle in 2015.  It opened the floodgates to misinformation, division and sowing the seeds of deep-rooted enmity.  That election fractured friendships, relationships, families - you name it.  Battlelines were drawn and trenches were dug. 

Then came the pandemic.  Wash - rinse - repeat.  It made things worse because now people were experts in science, medicine and biochemistry, instead of the American political system and people were actually dying.  Greater war zones were created for the "vaccinated" vs. the "unvaccinated", who were treated like lepers, made into pariahs and worse, lost their livelihoods.  Paranoia burned through everyone like wildfire.  And again, relationships suffered - I know, because several long-term, long-time, real world relationships I held dear were suddenly gone, without a word, a reason or explanation.  Just radio silence.  Which was a very tough blow to accept and move on from.  But I did.

Now, all of a sudden, I see a very different, darker division.  When people you once loved and cared about are supporting terrorist groups, you cannot simply digest it and say "well, I'm glad they're not in my life anymore".  You do, but you also have to be solid enough to say "your support of terrorism and anti-Semitism makes you a hypocrite, a liar and you are now dead to me."  It's that simple.  When you post a message of support for those "poor people", you negate that they support the ones who began the war.  They teach their children to hate; to kill; to believe and preach that Jewish people are evil and must die.  Those "poor people" aren't to be pitied.  You didn't say anything about the people who were slaughtered at the beginning during a music festival by an invasion.  You didn't say anything about the children, women and elderly who were mercilessly butchered, burned and beheaded by these subhuman savages.  But the "poor people" who may become casualties... no, it doesn't fly anymore.  When you say to me, "oh, but of course you support Israel; you're Jewish"...  talk about knocking me over with a feather.  Unexpected.  And a sign that underneath it all is a mixture of arrogance and anti-Semitism.  And I don't care how many years we have behind us; how many laughs, secrets or tears - we're done.  You showed yourself.

I'm not angry - I see it.  Clearly.  I have perspective on it and I've now digested it so I am able to continue forward with even less baggage now.  But the reality is this: I believe in the wisdom of self-preservation.  You go ahead and keep marching in the fashion of the moment.  You won't be missed by me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home