ManicRobThrill

Saturday, December 24, 2005

'Tis the season, cubed

And so naturally, apart from missing the "official" one year anniversary of this blog yesterday, I'm at home today with a really irritating head cold. I'm tired, physically drained, mentally exhausted and Liz went to spend Xmas Eve with her family alone, which is the first time since we've been married. I would have loved to not break tradition but I feel thoroughly unwell.

Nonetheless, I wanted to give my wrap-up for the year, especially since Bob and I spent a good portion of last night's get-together talking about music, the changes we've gone through this year as people and I think my perspective is as clear as it ever was.

I feel very fortunate to have certain people in my life; family and friends. While it's been a year fraught with abrupt changes and transitions, moments of uncertainty and downright frustrations, being 40 does give me a measure of insight and objectivity I'd not had previously. For those who have been there during this year of upheavals, amputations and additions, thank you. I want to say to you all truly, I love and appreciate every one of you--you know who you are. I'm not a religious man, but I thank God for all I have and that I'm still alive.

Mostly, I thank the Lord for the music. There were years past when I forgot, but that's why I'm here; it's what has always kept me going and it still does.

HIGHLIGHTS '05:

The Kaiser Chiefs - Employment
Bob Mould - Body Of Song
Paul Weller - As Is Now
Gang Of Four - Return The Gift
Louis XIV - The Best Little Secrets Are Kept

Add to that the odd Kelly Clarkson track and re-discovering gems by The Incredible String Band, The Move and remembering how much I love Donovan and E.L.O. and you have a fairly broadly painted musical pallette. And no, I didn't forget my renewed excitement with The Minutemen and Husker Du, so there you have it. On we go to '06; something to look forward to--the release of The Punch Line album early in the spring.

Thank you for making this blog a success. Happy Holidays and God bless you all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home