ManicRobThrill

Friday, April 01, 2005

Stands for decibels

The grey of the sky does not equal my mood. I feel pretty okay today; a minor pang of guilt over not going to the gym last night, but like I said, far too many packages to carry home (think bag, gym bag, shopping bag, etc. -- you get it). One night isn't going to be the ruination of my quest. Things are moving along in a timely fashion at work and I, for one, am glad.

Did spend my time wisely last night, listening to the (what I deem) perfect "Repercussion" album by The dB's, to put myself in a completely appropriate frame of mind for tomorrow. I also played through "Inside" a few times, to refresh my memory. Really a good song. This should be (famous last words) fairly easy to tackle. It's funny, but as I was playing it acoustically, I seemed to speed it up to a "comfortable" tempo. However, for the recorded/band version, it needs to be slower--I could hear in my head the comparisons with "Nothing Is Wrong", the Peter Holsapple track that inspired "Open Your Eyes" (shut up). It really works better like this.

Speaking of The dB's, I was reading a Rolling Stone article about their reunion and the new album they're working on; it's funny that in the last year or two, so many great bands--bands that I've loved--have reunited and are making music that is as good as when they were younger or in their (so-called) prime. Naturally, I would include The Punch Line in this list. Yes, I know that many of these songs were in my oeuvre back in '87, but since they hadn't (officially) seen the light of day, they're just as relevant (and certainly, lyrically and emotionally poignant) today. Add to that, this incarnation of The Punch Line seems to have the drive and desire to make this record as powerful as any album that we've been influenced by. I don't think in past lives we ever really did. I think we were all over the place as people, let alone as musicians and as a band. This time, it's different. And for that, I'm proud to have the audacity and throw our reunion up there with The dB's, Undertones, Gang Of Four and so on. And if you think that's obnoxious of me, fuck you. I don't care. Let's see you do this and do this as well. Ugh; I digress. My point was now is as good a time as any for a great band to do what they do best, no matter how old--as long as you can maintain your dignity. And so far, I think all the bands who I like and who have reunited have done just that. I can't honestly say any of them have disappointed me. And yes, that includes The Punch Line. I'm just impatient. I want this album out. So do you.

Still miffed that the barber cut my hair a little too short last night. Looks like it's time (after 23 years) to say goodbye to Astor Hair. Big shout out to my wife, whose new hairstyle makes her even more gorgeous than usual (and you bastards know that's no exaggeration!). Grocery shop tonight? I actually hope so, to give Liz and I more relaxation time on Sunday, post-workout. The guitars are tuned; my equipment bag is ready and I am zen with my band.

I am the cosmos.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home