ManicRobThrill

Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Train of thought

Picking up from where I left off (in a manner of speaking)...

The album sounds (just from sitting and listening to it quietly in the studio) amazing. Really proud; beyond pleased. A rich, full pop-powerhouse that makes you step back and say "this was done by a 3-piece?". There are a lot of subtleties and nuances--all credit and another shout out to Chris--that enrich the sound to make it even more lush than had we done it in a more meat-and-potatoes fashion. I'm a big fan of density as to the way a rhythm section sounds and I'm a huge proponent of the "big, stupid American drums" sound, as defined by Don Gehman years ago, so when I hear the playbacks of "Wild Skies" and "Beauty Lies", I can't help but get a tingle from the bottom end. The acoustic guitars are crisp and warm; the vocals have that great big-room feel and the songs have gone from flubbed ideas on my demo tapes to these pop classics ready for public consumption and performance. Yes, I know I'm editorializing, but allow me to be proud of what I and my friends/bandmates/brothers-in-arms have done. To this point, I always loathed everything I ever played on/released. Now I'm not. At 40, I certainly appreciate what we've done.

An interesting about-face as to the fact that I would get tensed up when it was time to record; this time, I'm actually looking forward to the mixing sessions (which I usually detest)--I think it gives us a chance to really add/enhance the raw recordings, as they sound ready as it stands now. The ability to look at these songs and shine them up (think rough diamonds) gives me a rush of excitement, which I've never had for mixing. Like I've said so many times before, "The Wild Flowers" is a great song; a great pop record and a great production, but I never want to hear the motherfucker again, as I had to endure 96 playbacks of the fucking thing and have hated it ever since. You get my meaning.

I've checked in with the guys this morning to see if this coming Sunday is feasible for the first mix session; strike while the iron is hot and we're on a unified, creative tear.

Going tonight with Liz to see "We Jam Econo". Can't wait.

Time to e-mail Chris again, this time with ideas for website updates.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home