ManicRobThrill

Monday, July 23, 2007

Is it time to go home yet?

Came across this article (via Coolfer); wow, talk about a lifetime ago. In a mere 6 year period, an entire industry has been turned upside down on its' head, shaken to its' very core and STILL nothing changes nor improves. It's the same mistakes, treading upon the same tracks and pushing the same garbage onto the consumers. And they wonder why music isn't selling? Liz and I were talking yesterday about the amount of music we haven't purchased this year. I truly believe this is probably the year where I have bought (and supplemental to that, had the least amount of interest in) very little musical product. A few tracks from iTunes and perhaps a handful of CD's--none of which were "new" or by "new artists". I think the gamut ran from compilations to compilations and that was it. Then again, is it any wonder? Case and point: in September, Rhino is issuing the next "deluxe editions" in The Monkees' re-issues series. Is there anyone putting out anything that compares to Headquarters or Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones Ltd.? Sorry to either disappoint or offend, but the answer would be a resounding "no". This is what it comes down to. This may have been more egregious to me a few years ago, but like I've said so many times before, it doesn't mean what it used to. There's still something of a loss--no different than if your favorite book series or television show has come to an end--but there are higher priorities in my life.

Riding the train into work this morning, where it's grey, gloomy and wet outside, it makes me so glad that we will be moving back to Staten Island in just a mere four months. Better to take the ferry in than have to drive to the train, wait for the train and then be bounced from one train to the other. I will say this--noticed were many riders with the final installation of Harry Potter. I don't care what anyone says--I much prefer to see people of any age lining up for a book than for some horrible "entertainer" (like a Britney Spears or shit of her ilk).

I would really like to be at home today with a good movie and no urgency to be in the city!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home