ManicRobThrill

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Time alone is the best medicine

Backpains aside, I needed a day like today to be alone in the quiet. Things are going well, at work and with the new songs I've been working on, but I need to recuperate from the discomfort (to put it mildly) and being worn out.

About my job--love it; thrive on it and enjoy what I do with the people I work with. Been busy with my daily responsibilities and more so with our upcoming office move, which bumps and twists aside, should be complete by the first week of August. Went into the office this past Saturday and after lifting heavy file boxes for two days, back problems were bound to happen. I tried to avoid it, but what can you do? Things need to get done. After that, it was off to Staten Island to take care of my dad's needs and our own shopping and chores.

The last few weeks have been flying by but great. Made a surprise visit to Brother B. two Saturdays ago; an impromptu mini-road trip suggested by Liz. Took the new ride to PA. and shocked the Dude Supreme by calling him from outside his door. Did us a world of good to see him and I think he was pretty buoyed up by it as well. Weekends beyond that have been all about household duties, prepping for our move back to S.I. (the list of items to toss out seems to continue, week after week!) and making sure my dad is comfortable.

After getting the new 12-string back and getting more familiar with it, I'm feeling stronger on a lot of the songs I've been focusing on, which is a nice return. To play live and solo is an intimate and frightening thing, but really, it's also a joy to not have to hide the songs behind electric guitars, drums, bass and whatever other embellishments. If the songs are strong enough, the voice and guitar should work when you're alone. Recording is a different story, but for this upcoming jaunt, I'm trying to not feel any fear or hesitation about playing completely solo. Again, this is all about enjoying making music, not a re-kickstart to a music career. I do plan on recording, but I like the fact that there is no immediate timetable or sense of urgency. When I feel it, I'll do it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home