ManicRobThrill

Thursday, May 07, 2009

Endless blend

Usually, May is my favorite month, but it's gotten off to such a bleak start with more than a week's worth of rain and grey skies that it's hard to feel any motivation; my feet have been dragging for almost two weeks. Ugh!

The latest is the progression of recording. Slow but steady and done far more methodically than I have ever done before; the ability to actually know the songs in advance of working the kinks out while recording is ridiculously different and refreshing for me. I don't have to try over and over to see what works, vocally or musically. There's a lot to be said for knowing your material before recording half-assed. Makes the experience that much more pleasurable.

I, unfortunately, read just now that a friend of mine from our junior high school years and then briefly in college, just passed away from cancer. I can remember the last time we spoke, as it was around this time 22 years ago and he was kind enough to help me through a fairly serious bout of depression, which hasn't happened since. Sam was a good man; he was a great and funny friend and even though the years have gone by, it's obvious that he will be missed. The hardest part is knowing that he leaves behind a family who loved him and he loved. It's hard to write this without feeling a little bit more than emotional.

Add to all of this that a dear friend and former work colleague has recently lost her job, which angers me. I feel that claustrophobic frustration that would take hold of me in these situations.

Put it down to it's been a difficult week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home