ManicRobThrill

Tuesday, February 13, 2024

Before the seasons change...

I decided with the oncoming spring - albeit a little over a month away - a massive purge would be helpful, since I've been lax in doing it with consistency over the last few years.  It's not about accumulation, but the proverbial "out with the old; in with the new" and letting go.  There isn't clutter (or worse), since I'm neither a pack rat or (God forbid) hoarder - I just want room and to see some of the past physically disappear.  

In going through my drawers and closets, I made an observation that while I'm very good at maintaining what I have, keeping things longer than a decade when you haven't thought about, seen or done anything with them, isn't a worthwhile proposition.  Starting with the most obvious and basic place, it began with my clothes.  Two enormous plastic bags filled with items from the early 2000's is the first massive step forward, including getting rid of my too-many-to-count rock t-shirts and jerseys.  Shoes, pants and coats that no longer fit, look awkward or age-damaged all went.  Regular shirts were replaced by simple classic/elegant/austere/age-appropriate ones and it makes an immediate impact in positive ways.

Turning 59 last month made me realize that I'm not who I used to be.  That isn't bad, frightening, upsetting or the slightest bit negative.  I see myself exactly as what I am - a man in the late stage of his life.  And I'm comfortable with that; I'm fine being 59.  I wouldn't feel right in an old Van Halen concert jersey or wearing old Kickers shoes that I've had since my Atlantic Records days.  It has nothing to do with anyone else; this is all about me and what I can no longer see or view myself as.  And it makes me very happy.  Acceptance is everything. 

The next thing is to see if I'm ready to start selling off some of my guitars.  There are signs that it may be time - I don't play; haven't played and really, haven't had the desire to, either.  Again - none of this is negative; it's good.  The realization that something you once loved - held sacred - no longer interests you is a very powerful thing.  You can use it for positives or you can let it make you sad and wrapped up in a coccoon of the past, which isn't constructive.

It's great to have been young and had so many varied passions, motivators and inspiration.  And I couldn't ask for more.  I'm fortunate and grateful to have had all of it.  But now, it's time to keep moving forward.  I have the memories - I don't need the physical "stuff".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home