ManicRobThrill

Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Here in suburbia

An early entry on a sunny morning. I've yet to pour my first cup of coffee (which I will do momentarily, at the commercial) and I'm sitting here, watching one of my favorite shows of all time, "Nigella Bites" with the delicious goddess, Nigella Lawson. It's a good start to a morning (and my preferred setting for blog time) when I didn't expect to be at home with Liz. She came home from work early yesterday with a severe flu; I left work at 3:30 to be with her and do whatever necessary. Subsequently, I had to forego my usual Tuesday night at the gym. Not a trauma, as I have yet to feel 100%, but her being this ill was too important for me to even stay at the office any longer. Thankfully, after a good, long night's sleep, she's feeling much better (it was a very hard afternoon/evening for her) but we're here so she can recuperate her energies and (hopefully) be back at work tomorrow.

I did manage to get myself a solid night's sleep on the sofa, which explains why I'm here, refreshed and writing this early. While I'm glad to be home with Liz, I will be missing the XP class today; I'm sure once I get the reading for next week, I'll be alright. I'm thinking of taking this to a further step and signing on somewhere for an actual class to learn writing/coding. It (like everything else) can only benefit me and since I'm getting more into Mac Life, it will (undoubtedly) help me at home--especially since I work with Mac pros/fans.

In talking with some of my friends at work, it seems like we're all in the same mindset of finding a house in New Jersey. I don't think there's anyone who's even slightly enamored by the notion of living in Manhattan--how could you, especially after you're past the age of 25? There is nothing cool, hip or valuable about living in the city--it's too fucking expensive, too loud, too clustered and New York City has lost all the charm and mystique that made it New York City. You know, the areas that were once verboten are now tourist attractions and the people who made "city life" (sic) worth exploring has either grown up and moved on or died. It's a sad but simple fact. Time changes everything and the city is no different. There are moments when I get a little weepy and lachrymose about "the old days", especially when I pass by or even stop in at some of my old haunts, but at the same time, that was then. It was all about youth--now the city is old and the cliches are tired. You'll get more animation out of me talking about wanting a lush, green lawn and my preference for Frigidare chrome refrigerators in the eat-in kitchen (with the French sliding-glass doors that lead to the yard).

I think I'll finish this entry here; sit back with my (now) second cup of joe, close my eyes and imagine writing this on my iBook in the kitchen of the house, before I go out to wash the Mini.

A middle-age fantasy or a nice projection of a reality to come?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home