ManicRobThrill

Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Centrifuge in my head

Got to hit the gym tonight. Six days to my physical and with the way things have been on hyperspeed as of late, I'm still trying to catch my breath and get back to normal patterns--sleep, eating, exercising, etc. I've been on what I consider an extended "mental spring break" throughout this month and I'm tightening the reins again.

Spent some time in Synchronic East last night, clearing space for a CD player so I can re-learn the keyboard lines to "Bitter Sweet" and now "Inside" by playing along with the recorded versions. It's slow going and a bit frustrating, but I also realize that it's been 8 years since I did those demos (it had been only 3 years between the initial versions, when I wrote those songs and then reconstructed them). "Inside" is the easier of the two songs to figure out, but just the same, when we get to that next recording session (which I know is bound to be the last, as there's nothing else in terms of major elements/tracks to be recorded), I want to be ready and able to do this in a minimal amount of takes. Focus is the key.

Listening incessantly to The dB's (still), Television and my beloved That Petrol Emotion--still the greatest band in the world (to me) after The Beatles. Finding the mixture of shimmering pop and weaving tapestries of guitar. Since we've reached the conclusion of this record, I'm looking for the right vibe for the next one. From the outset, the next batch of songs are far more aggressive and built for live performance--some stark (yet melodic) pieces; stripped down and heavier.

That's another thing--I'm now getting the itch to play live since we've reached the 1st major goal of completion. I think we can work out a mixing schedule around time to go into the rehearsal studio and really become shit-hot, which (without false modesty) we seemed to become last time and quickly. The one show last summer was good, all things considered (Bob just joining the band; picking out and learning songs, rehearsals on the fly, etc.) -- now we're seasoned as a unit and I think these songs--as it stands now--would be even more powerful live. Then add some of the newer things, which we haven't even touched and it could be pretty exciting. Again, just thinking out loud.

Shining sun in these windows is really taking me elsewhere, mentally. I think I'd rather be in the car, en route down South. This would be the perfect time of year for a road trip; would love to see my friends down in Norfolk. Anywhere is better than New York at the moment. Such an oppressive feeling. Still, so much to do and such limited time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home