ManicRobThrill

Thursday, April 14, 2005

Closer than close

Been trading e-mails with Chris this morning, trying to solidify the details towards next weekend--it really does seem to be the conclusion of the recording sessions for "...to get to the other side". If this is so, I'm very happy about it as I think the finished product will be what I've been striving for -- quality, energy, melody, multiple vocal harmonies -- basically, all the elements of what I like to hear in a pop record. And I think The Punch Line captures all of it well. A lot of work coming up in this last session, undoubtedly. As I told Chris in my last communique, if we're all riding the same wave as we have been with the last few sessions, then this should present no difficulty in completing. His prep work is starting now, with tracking the drums for me to pre-approve; Bob is already learning his bass line for it--I certainly know my parts and it should go fairly quickly, especially with the rhythm tracks being done expeditiously. As far as the short-term goes, he's even suggested that we begin mixing on the 30th, which would be great if we could do the two weeks in a row and give ourselves an extra bit of space as far as mixing goes. How much of a process this will be is a guess, but I do know what I would like a fair portion of these songs to sound like, once mixed properly.

What to do?!

Not a big surprise, but I'm already looking towards the next Punch Line album. Can't help it. Sifting through/re-visiting/re-editing some of the songs that I want to be the body of the album is the first step. Some of the songs need to be properly demo'd (or re-demo'd); some of them are ready to be explored in their current form. I'm keenly aware of having all the songs ready, selected and rehearsed well in advance of the next round of recording. This 1st album was a re-learning curve for the three of us; even though this permutation of The Punch Line was newly-formed, it is (in my mind and not-so-humble opinion) the one that has had the greatest firepower for me. It's also the one that's lasted longer than any of the prior incarnations! And I'm fairly optimistic that when the time comes to set the table for the next album, the songs will be tight and it will take us less time to create an equally great product.

With that said, it's a proud thought for me that Bob and Chris took these songs and gave them their love; it's something I appreciate wholly. In the final analysis of this first album, I'm not so concerned with what anyone thinks of it--I'm more concerned with my original goal of it being an album that I would actually take out of my CD collection just to listen to--that's my criteria.

So with all these positives for next weekend, this weekend looks like it's going to be great. It's beautiful out today; no department dinner, so I will get home and take care of the last bits of cleaning for when Brian comes tomorrow. Seeing Bobby and Rob and some of the others tomorrow night at Maxwell's will be brilliant; the band should be as great as they were last year.
Saturday is our day to take Brian around; Sunday should go smooth with a breakfast out and the minor chores to be done. Obviously, postings here will be few-to-none.

So now I go in search of lunch; Chinatown is two blocks away. Steamed pork bun or won ton soup?

Have yourselves a great weekend; it should be magnificent.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home