ManicRobThrill

Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Look, know

Talking with a friend of mine yesterday, we were discussing diets and exercise. He'd noticed that I dropped some weight and looked more toned (to which I'm grateful for his kind words) but was surprised by my ongoing battles with food, etc. His curiosity was in what kind of diet I'm currently maintaining and what I keep in my cupboard. So I thought (as any good reporting rock musician would), here are my "survival items"--for the basic times at home or in illness, snowstorms, etc.:

Chocolate bars
Peanut butter (the creamy kind) and for those moments, grape jelly.
Soup -- I prefer the "standards"
When ill, Gatorade
Always have to have a few cans of tuna fish -- I'm a snob and must have the solid white in water
Various herbal teas
Honey -- again, in illness or with peanut butter and banana (talk about kick ass, especially on 7-grain bread)

Various cereals, be they oatmeal, grits or standard breakfast cereal. Admittedly, I also have a thing for Kellogg's breakfast bars and Pop Tarts.

Always, orange and cranberry juices are in our fridge; whole and skim milk. Whole wheat/grain bread--never white (even the English muffins).

File these under "comfort" food or whatever you like, but at least you have the above mentioned items on hand in all situations and they don't go bad (and I'm not referring to the refrigerated goods!). Liz had the foresight to have these when she was ill a few months ago and it does help you regain certain elements you've lost once you're in a post-fever state.

It's also really great when you just have the urge to nosh.

Being 40 and playing in a band again (and NOT touring), I feel this duty to myself to buck against the cliches and be as fit as I can (since I never really have been, truth be told), especially when on stage. That must sound like a ridiculous reason why I'm motivated to eat the way I now do and workout as I do, but it's one of many. Of course, before anyone says what an idiot I am, the main reason is that the older I am, the healthier I need to be--for myself and for Liz. Simple. But some of the motivations, superficial as they may be, help inspire me forward.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home