ManicRobThrill

Monday, April 04, 2005

Opening Day

Even at the age of 40, I still can't help but be thrilled by baseball's Opening Day. I'd rather be home watching the Mets start their season on the road. Alas, contract talks between Time Warner (the cable network I have no choice but to subscribe to) and Cablevision (the fucking consortium that owns the channels that the Mets are currently on, besides owning Madison Square Garden and my beloved New York Rangers) are at a standstill, so I won't be seeing anything for a while. Unless I get out to Shea Stadium next week for the real thing, the home opener. Nevertheless, Opening Day always signifies for me the true beginning of spring and that wonderful scent only this season has.

Still riding a wave of (minor) euphoria from Saturday's session. As I would agree with Chris, we should try and strike again soon, while the creative iron is hot. The fact that we completed (finally and without hesitation in my mind) 3 songs and are 75% done with another in a mere 4 1/2 hours is pretty head staggering. Economical usage of time and being as productive as possible in that frame of time is a wonderful thing. I'd love it if we were like that every time we got together. I will discipline myself at a point one night this week to spend time in Synchronic East and re-familiarize myself with the keyboard lines for "Bitter Sweet", as the better I know it, the easier the finishing session for this song will be. "Open Your Eyes" (or "Inside" or whatever I call it) is pretty much a two-guitar track take; a very simple keyboard riff during the guitar solo and a laughably easy tambourine embellishment. The vocals are double-tracked harmonies and that's it. Bob and Chris will be able to cement the rhythm section with ease and we are done. In total. Now it doesn't seem so far away.

As I'd said in an earlier posting, I can feel the lifting of these recent "discomforting" vibes thanks to Mercury Retrograde passing. Whether you believe (or not) in astrology, etc., it does seem like when a cycle ends, the emotional load lightens a bit.

Congratulate me; as I told Bob and Chris on Saturday, this is the longest I've ever started a year without buying any CD's/albums. Small wonder; everything out right now is pretty abysmal. That'll change by June (I hope). But I still won't buy the damned thing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home