ManicRobThrill

Sunday, May 01, 2005

May Day/Weekend rewind

My favorite month. Did I mention that before?

Considering it's Sunday night, I thought I might not have the time tomorrow. Work, doctor's appointment, etc. You know the drill. So here's a posting with some thoughts, etc.

Friday night was calm and quiet enough--a quick coffee out before going home (beautiful night, no drama)--Liz was busy but when I got home, we made time to relax and talk. Saturday's chores in the driving rain (or is it driving in the rain?) were not too painful; rather, we had a lot to laugh about and the time together was long overdue. The predictable/obligatory Starbucks and Target stops en route and after our groceries before noon set a great tone for the day. A leisurely lunch and home for the balance of the day, where Liz was back to the design studio while I began the newest project I've immersed myself in; I won't say just what I've been working on, but it has to do with a great leap forward into my (our) future. It's cool; trust me--I just want to make sure everything is functioning before I say anything firm.

This morning, up early and at the gym (hurrah!) by 9; like I'd never missed a beat at all. Set new highs on the treadmill and elliptical; worked out with the weights and felt terrific afterwards. Sidebar note: there are televisions at the gym (because you know you just can't live without it); George Stephanopoulos had that fuckwit Pat Robertson on his show this morning. As I was reading the closed-caption text, Robertson actually intimated that Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg was a Communist by virtue of her association with the A.C.L.U. What?! And this guy calls himself a "man of the cloth"? What cloth? Brownshirts? Strait jacket? Sheesh... Okay--just had to mention that. Took Liz to Bagel Bistro, where we had one of my favorite post-workout meals--6 egg whites, peppers, tomatoes, onions, roast beef (no gravy, thank you ) and wheat toast. Load me up on the decaf! A real protein powerhouse. Made a run to Tastebuds (our fave local organic/health food store), then a long drive past the beach and a moment of Punch Line art and history.

Drove down to St. Mary's Avenue, in an area called Rosebank, to see if the abandoned train station which inspired "Train Of Thought" was still there--as I feared, it was gone. The lines about "broken station, split in two"--the station was split in two by the street when I first came upon it, back in '87. One side was fenced in, yet in tact although overgrown with weeds; the other was broken and rusted and covered in trash. When I saw the area where it had been located, one side was shitty tract-housing; the other side was a fenced-in parking lot. The idea was to photograph the station and use it as the actual cover for ...to get to the other side, but it's now over to Plan B. I have to admit, while I despise people who immerse themselves in false nostalgia and romanticise the proverbial "yesterday", I did feel a little lachrymose at seeing the street. It had brought back a wave of memories and I was catapulted to a period I hadn't thought of in years.

Back home in time to slay the beast known as the laundry room and am now ready to settle in for the Sunday night powerblock of dumb entertainment. Well, not dumb, per se, since Family Guy is back, but something to lessen the blow of the Monday world. Thus, I'll speak now, while the words are available and my mind hasn't been novacained by the gogglebox.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home