ManicRobThrill

Friday, June 23, 2006

Cataloging

On this quiet night, I did something I haven't done in about 13 years; I went through most of my (old) recorded output. I have to admit, with fresh ears and distance/perspective, the songs and performances are quite good. Songs like "The Moon Fell Down" and "American Top Forty" have great guitar textures; "Talk To Me, Tanya" has balls, both musically and vocally and some of the others, like "Whatever Makes You Happy" are just plain great--it makes me very proud.

Had an eye-opening conversation with T. earlier. We were discussing our current situations; we're already making music together and I couldn't be more pleased to work with someone who has such a clear-cut notion of what he wants to achieve and proud that he feels I'm the only one who can take the helm to steer the boys into the desired waters. Producing them is a joy; it's inspiring and thrilling. They ask advice; I give it. They ask direction; I give it. They ask for help; I give it. They ask for more music to help push them forward; to have their own musical knowledge expanded--I'm more than happy to give it. The guys have a genuinely bright future (with or without me to aid them) and it's warming to hear a band that does what my former bands just weren't capable of (not musically speaking). T.'s theory is simple: cut the shit and play the music. Keep your egos in check and let the leaders lead. Whoever does all the work deserves to reap (and should expect) the rewards.

"Everyone's a cowboy; no one wants to be the Indian...
You'll just stand and wait for help; but I'm the only one who can"

Thank God for no more toothache. It may be cloudy outside, but I feel so much sunnier.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home