ManicRobThrill

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

From setting sons to risen demi-gods...

I'm not one to wax nostalgic and I'm well-known enough that everyone knows what an enormous role Paul Weller played in my formative years, both musically and on a stronger, cultural level. So to see him on stage with Bruce Foxton after 28 years apart and playing "The Eton Rifles" makes me think two things: "I never thought I'd live to see this" and "what the fuck?". I can't help but take both approaches. The Jam were the most important band in the world (after The Beatles and The Who) and their late-1982 split was a blow to 17-year-old me. I got used to the pain of the loss (and overcame the nausea that was The Style Council), but this is a kick in the balls, both good and bad. I want to keep the memory of the younger Foxton and Weller as they were. I know it's a one off, but shit...

Being the massive hypocrite that I am, naturally, I'll eat these words should The Punch Line get back together again. But at least I won't stand around, posturing on the notion. I'll just do it. And it wouldn't take me 28 fucking years to do it, either.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home