ManicRobThrill

Thursday, June 30, 2005

Acasual connecting principle

No sooner than I posted yesterday's blog, I read an article in this month's Utne (same issue as my iPod rebuttal) about the collapse of friendship and the process of weeding out and essentially "breaking up" with that friend. Funny, I write two entries on the topic of past and present friendships and I'm reading a personal account of the author's break-up with a (now-former) friend. Yes, yes, I know; it's Jung's theory of synchronicity--and no, I'm not referring to Synchronic Entertainment; I'm not that gauche--but that was the first thought going through my mind as I read the article. Nice to know I'm not alone. However, I wouldn't go to the pains of writing a letter, spelling out my reasons, etc.--that's just a tad too overdramatic. I prefer the quiet fade into the sunset; the less-and-less phone calls; the lame, half-hearted excuses of why we haven't the time to get together. That's more my speed. I prefer not to go through the pains and machinations of pointing out someone else's foibles to teach them a lesson. If you fuck up on a constant, I get sick of you. It means you bring nothing to the table but excuses; I'll blank you very quickly. Or you constantly piss and moan about how terrible (your) life is--after a while, a symapthetic ear turns deaf. I hate to say it, but I just don't care that much. I'm selfish. My life is very nice. I like it this way. I don't have any requirements nor room for bad vibes.

Some room for ironies on this subject: stopped at my old job last night on the way back from my dad's. It was great seeing Jane, Mike and Andrea--it's been a little over a year, but nonetheless, I missed them. And it felt, in an odd way, like home.

Just got through Y.M.-ing with J.W. He is sorely missed here, but Liz and I will be seeing him next week. Good to know he's well and happy. A change will do you good. Didn't the object of my desires say that? Again, great to know he's out there.

So enough on the week's topic and enjoy the upcoming holiday.

Everyone is an authority in a free land...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home