ManicRobThrill

Friday, June 24, 2005

Elevated observations?

I tried writing earlier, but it sounded forced and like absolute bullshit, even though it was a few sentences. That's exactly the kind of thing I never want to do when I post. Even if what I say sounds empty and "who cares if you guys went to Starbucks?", it's still actuality as opposed to contrived writing. So I scrapped the previous attempt.

Work is fine; I'm busy and it's good. No complaints. The day is warm and beautiful and I'm looking forward to a formal "date" with Liz tonight--movies, coffee. It's been a while since we did something like this; I'd guess the closest was the night we had dinner (last month) at Cafe Le Figaro. We need things like this--it helps us to diffuse from the work week together and sets up a usually good/fun/productive weekend. I'm also feeling physically better. No more congestion; I still don't know if it was really a newly-developed affliction of allergies or what. And I'm also regaining my grip on my dietary habits. It's also back to the gym Sunday morning.

I'm quietly observing things around me that put me off, make me not want to socialize or even be remotely aligned with various people--"friends", if you will. I've taken the pains to put that word in quotes because when you've reached a certain limit, you begin to question the validity of the relationship. The stagnant conversations; the constant clashing of ideas or ideals; the uncomfortable tension when you're in the same room--it adds up and either comes crashing down or you make the conscious decision to remove yourself quietly from the equation and sever ties. It's at times a bit stunning to me to be such a casual observer in this scenario, when I'm the one who's starting to see that some of my friendships are about as valid as a politician's smile. Time erodes everything, including relationships on all levels. Except with some, you're caught unawares. Believe me, I've already gotten over my initial shock at the realization, but although my stance of disconnect has softened, it makes the inevitable just that--inevitable. Bottom line is sooner or later, all good things come to an end. And if you're astute enough to be emotionally prepared, then there's less the tears spent.

Okay, enough reflection and rumination. Time to get back to the real world's work before I wrap it up. Have yourselves a good weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home