ManicRobThrill

Monday, July 25, 2005

Weekend rewind (life during wartime)

Check back with me later on the poignancy of that above sub-title...

A great weekend with Liz, albeit nothing special. Quiet night Friday, although I did, in fact, break out the 12-string and run through some songs. Observations: a) my voice is better than it's been in years, which surprises me (happily). b) I can still remember these songs, even if I don't play them all that often. c) time to change the strings on the guitar. A little flat. Saturday was our norm, nice and early. Lunch at Golden's for a fun meal and back in the apartment in the cool comfort. Same for yesterday, after hitting the gym (take one week off and reach new heights the next--fantastic) and the quick run to Menlo Park. Yes, I was lazy and didn't do the laundry, which I will do tonight.

Watched "Six Feet Under" last night--certainly one of my favorite shows of the last few years. Had a moment when the red-headed girl, Claire (a.k.a. the bitchy-stoned-artist) says to her date "I found my friends right where I left them". It was a powerful thing, as this was something that has been a topic in this blog, LeFig's blog and in conversations Liz and I have been having lately. Just yesterday at lunch we were talking about people not growing and not changing and at what point do you say "enough". To see and hear the scenes that led up to that line was eerily identical to our discussions. If I had the time right now, I would continue the conclusions we've drawn and the reasons/analysis behind it all, but I'll save that for an end-of-the-week posting.

This coming Saturday is supposed to be the (proverbial) last Punch Line mixing session. If it goes as planned, we should be done and the disk can go to mastering before manufacturing. I would be very happy if we complete this task as scheduled. As I said last week, listening through the album--even the "unmixed" songs--it sounds rich and powerful and full of life. You can't help but be enthused and chomp at the bit to hear the "end" product. I'm enjoying these last elements tremendously; I hope Bob and Chris are as well and I think these last sessions have been fun, so it stands us in good stead.

I guess on a more personal note, I'm glad to hear that my friend B. is doing better and was actually up here to pack up the remnants of his apartment before heading back South. From all reports, he's at near 90% again and I couldn't be more relieved and happy. B., if you're reading this, stay well, brother and get in touch when you're up to it.

Outside, the sun is trying to peek through the clouds. I hope that's a good omen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home