ManicRobThrill

Sunday, January 04, 2009

Quiet new beginnings

A few ruminations on a January Sunday morning after coffee...

New Year's Eve was a strange one; my wife and I had a nice afternoon before she had to work (in this economic climate, you do what you need to do); subsequently, the evening was spent quietly in front of the T.V. until it was time to pick her up at midnight. I drove out to her place of employment for her to get off work just before midnight--literally, not a soul nor car in the streets on an 18 degree night. However, it turned out no one was scheduled (due to a massive series of irresponsible mistakes by the dispatchers) to relieve her for the overnight shift; she and I wished one another a Happy New Year by cell phone and she told me to go home until possibly someone showed up. I woke up on the sofa at 3:40 to hear the door open and she came in, cheerful, cold but completely awake, after having walked the distance home--she didn't want to wake me. So we poured a glass of wine each to belatedly toast (neither one of drink as a rule) and went to sleep.

Tomorrow is my return to the normalcy of the working week. This two week vacation has been wonderfully relaxing; spent reading, unwinding and feeling generally good. I'm not in any particular mindset concerning the newly-begun year; I'd like to remain healthy and happy as I've been these last few months. Whatever happens musically will simply happen. I've already been asked about whether or not The Punch Line will get back together. Just last night, during our dinner with friends, the question came up again. My only answer is that I don't know as I am not in contact with the other members of the band; again, if there is some truth to this, I'd appreciate a phone call or an e-mail for the sake of clarification. If there is truth to it, I'd be intrigued to know if there is a specific plan and then I would simply make the necessary preparations. I don't see any reasons to look at the past cycles with the band as anything negative by virtue of hoping that with time and age, everyone is in a better place and that playing music together does not necessitate the need to be an insulated unit (if that makes sense). We all have lives; I have a family, friends, a job and a band should be looked upon as just a pleasurable pastime. So, again, I don't know. I do know that my own music-making has become fun again and it's progressing nicely.

All that being said, it's time to shower and run a few minor errands.

1 Comments:

  • You could've kissed her at 0400 to celebrate the New Year in Alaska, or waited 'til 0500 to celebrate it in Honolulu...

    By Blogger Unknown, At 4:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home