ManicRobThrill

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Reaping the rewards of a youth well spent

It's pretty well documented, especially here, that I'm not someone who likes reliving or revisiting his past. However, I feel a need to share something good, especially in light of the recent output being so negative.

I recently received an e-mail from a friend of mine who I hadn't seen (I believe) since 1993; we briefly exchanged hellos in the ferry terminal and that was all. Previous to that, I had seen her in 1991 for all of five minutes as she was leaving a restaurant and I was coming in. And before that we hadn't seen one another since the day we graduated high school in 1983, so it had been 8 years.

The point is, she e-mailed me and I'm not sure why, but I felt a warmth that I haven't felt in a long time. She has good memories of our friendship and while she only briefly touched upon her recollections of me and of her high school experience, I think I was more taken by her forthright and honesty and the fact that we're suddenly able to pick up a conversation in the here and now as if 25 years never passed. She's already reoccupied a place in my heart as a close friend and confidant and I can count this as a blessing. I don't mean to get quasi-religious sounding, but it is a joy and a gift when someone returns to your life and their mere words can fill you with simple happiness. The e-mails exchanged reveal two people who were good friends then and are even better friends now and into the future. Here's to your return, A; much love from this end of the East Coast.

It's something like this that helps keep my mind occupied with more positive thoughts than being overworked, overstressed and under-joyed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home