ManicRobThrill

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Slick

An evening of opera and a different way to view performing after good and constructive conversation leads me to focus on stage configuration and presence. I went back and watched some old video footage of us and I can see where there's a lot of room for my improvement. If we play as a three-piece, I need to be even more commanding and dynamic to keep the audience's attention. It's not an ego thing; it's my job and my responsibility. At 46, it's very easy for me to say I certainly have no fear nor stage fright; if anything, I do hunger to get out there and entertain, especially if friends have come to see me do these songs they now know and are familiar with. The exercises I do with the acoustic guitar have helped bolster my abilities no end; my voice is stronger and richer than I can remember; I'm no longer conscious wanting it to be equal with the guitar--rather, it should carry over the guitar in a natural way. Always better, man.

I'm keeping an eye on the idea of having time to sit down and demo the new songs quickly. Even if they aren't intricate and detailed demos, I want the basic structures down so I can carry forward from there. "Best Thing", "Believe What I Say", "Desertion", "Someone Like Me" and "Hopeless" are ready--they need to be solidified and arranged. "The Next Sometime Soon" is nearly done and "Last Word" is on the table.

I don't question whether the river will run dry. The lyrics keep appearing; the construction of the songs go hand in hand with the lyric writing process. This has been, in light of all the negatives leading up to it, a fine and positively prosperous creative time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home