ManicRobThrill

Friday, September 02, 2005

What to do

I'm in a sea of emotions right now that I'm trying my best to keep in check. Apart from my lack-of-job situation (which I have been interviewing, signing on with temp agencies, etc.), watching events unfold in Louisiana and Mississippi is leaving me both drained and helpless. I'm not going to sit here and pontificate on anything except to speak my piece:

a) I'm appalled at the sluggish manner in which the government has not responded
b) I'm not going to entertain the notions that some pundits are saying that the lack of aid is racially motivated
c) I am beyond words at the response of a portion of the world's populace: God is NOT punishing the United States; this was a force of nature. To politicize this and say "look at New Orleans, how uncivilized they are"--ugh. Makes me want to say fuck you to the rest of the uncivilized world. Next time someone needs a favor, make sure you ask the United States for help, right? Hypocrites. (And no, I'm not some right wing nut, so don't even think about it.)
d) I feel the need to do something for the first time in my life.

I don't have any family or friends down there; I just can't sit idly by and watch this, doing nothing.

I'm trying at this moment to gather Chris and Bobby to get The Punch Line rehearsing and contacting a few other friends who are in bands and might be willing to do some kind of benefit gig to earn some money to send to the American Red Cross. I may come up short, but I'm going to do my best to get my friends and cohorts together and make something happen somehow.

I also noticed that this blog page has taken over 800 hits. To whomever is out there reading this, I thank you--please feel free to get in touch with me and please keep reading on. I hope it gives you as much as it's given me.

Light a candle; say a prayer and do something. Please.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home